Thursday, January 31, 2013

Crying it Out

Jade does not sleep through the night and she sleeps in our bed. After getting lots of opinions and advice, we finally decided to try the "crying it out" idea. We already have a bedtime routine established, so on the first night of trying this we put her in her crib and, yep, let her cry it out.

She cried for a straight hour. 

Jade's crib is in our bedroom, so she just stood up in her crib the entire time, stared at us and bawled. I tried hiding under the covers so she couldn't see me. I felt like such a horrible person. I finally left the room and now Lance had two crying girls in the apartment. 

So after the longest hour of my life, Jade fell asleep. 

The next night we tried it again. This time she only cried for 20 minutes and then fell asleep. I thought, "okay, I think this is working."

The third night? Nope. Utter hysterics for over an hour. I finally just picked her up because I felt so bad. Now anytime we even get near the crib, she starts to freak out and cry. Before we tried "crying it out" we could lay Jade on our bed and she'd just fall asleep on her own. But now? Jade is afraid to fall asleep. I think she thinks we're going to abandon her, or worse....put her in her crib. haha. So yeah...I am not sure what to do, but I am not a fan of "crying it out"...and I'm pretty sure it back fired on us. 

But besides that...I love this little girl!! She is the cutest and is the happiest baby during the day! :) 



3 comments:

  1. I know how you feel!! Logan WILL not sleep by himself. Even when he naps he has to be with me. He senses when I leave. . .ugh!

    I tried the crying-it-out. . . that didn't work for us either. I hated listening to him cry. Plus he never fell asleep. He still sleeps with us. I've tried something like the crying-it-out. You are supposed to comfort them without taking them out of the crib. That didn't work either. . . If you ever find something that works. . . let me know! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you looked up how to do the crying it out method properly? its not actually called that, and most people think it means to just let their child scream for how ever long it takes. here is some good info on how to do it: ok the link isn't copying but it was from baby center, the Ferber method. at the end there is also other ways to help your child sleep. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I guess I should specify that we didn't just dump her in the crib and leave her there. Every 15 min or so we'd check on her, pat her on the belly, or give her a hug and kiss and put her back.

    ReplyDelete