It is 5 am as I write this...I got up at 4 to feed Jade and I haven't been able to get back to sleep! Ahh yes, just one of the joys of international travel.
We left Utah on Tuesday. I was super apprehensive about flying with a 6 month old. I didn't need to be! Jade is an awesome travel buddy. On our flight from Salt Lake to LA, she was entertained during take off by a group of LDS missionaries headed to the Philippines. Then she slept for the rest of the flight.
The next flight was the one I was most nervous about. Los Angeles to Tokyo. 11 hours. Yikes. However, that one wasn't so bad either! Because we were travelling with a baby, the airline gave us bulkhead seats: no seats in front of us, lots of leg room! (We had so much leg room, I am thinking I should fly with a baby more often to get those seats each time!) Again, Jade slept for most of the flight and when she was awake, we were able to keep her entertained. I am so grateful for that!
What was hard about the flight was I held Jade the entire time. I could have gotten a bassinet to set her in, but I knew that she would sleep better and longer if I just snuggled her. I wasn't able to get comfortable enough to sleep myself, so I stayed awake the entire time. (Thank goodness for movies!) It was also a bit of a pain to change her diaper in the teeny airplane bathroom, but we managed somehow. I lucked out because Jade didn't have a blow out until we were landing in Tokyo.
The last leg of our trip was the hardest. Probably because I hadn't slept in over 24 hours. The flight from Tokyo to Pusan was about 2 hours. Jade slept. Thank goodness. I think I dozed for about 2 minutes. ha.
I just have to say that Asian airport workers are the NICEST! They are so much more helpful and a thousand times nicer and more patient than the majority of airport people in the U.S.
For anyone flying with a baby, I recommend letting them suck on something during take off and landing. (I made sure Jade either had her binky or was nursing.) Also, bring some new toys or objects to distract your baby with. And to preserve your sanity, just remind yourself that you are not stuck on a plane for eternity... the flight WILL END. :)
![]() |
| about to board the plane-first flight with Jade |
![]() |
| Lance and Jade sitting on Santa's sleigh at SL airport |
![]() |
| waiting in LA for our flight to Tokyo. Jade liked sucking on an apple. |



Wahoo! Way to go baby jade!
ReplyDeleteI can understand your story...
ReplyDeleteWhen are you going to go back UT ?
We fly home on the 19th. Will we get to see you??
Deleteum,...Yes
ReplyDeletebut I have final test next week..
so... So You can see me today or next weekend
If you have time, Text me on Facebook that connect on my phone :D